
OUR FIRST BIG TRIP WAS 1966
We left St Louis on a Saturday morning in June and returned fifteen days later. In between we were in Memphis TN., St Augustine Daytona, Fort Lauderdale,Orlando and St Petersburg all in Florida.
We saw the Atlantic ocean and walked on a sandy beach for the first time in our lives.
Somehow, some way we went to Marineland, Silver Springs, boat ride on Biscayne Bay, drove out to the Keys, Busch Gardens [before rides] Cypress Gardens, and Circus Hall of Fame in Sarasota. We spent one night in Orlando with Nancy's cousin Bill and his family{ this was when Disney World was only in Walt's dreams}.Out of fourteen nights we spent two with relatives and the rest we were in motels.
We had two criteria for staying in a motel. If near an ocean we stayed on the beach and there always had to be a swimming pool.
This was before the advent of Mastercard and Visa. My memory says I left St Louis with $369.00 and a Standard Oil credit card for gas purchases. I believe we arrived back in St Louis with $8.00. All things are relevant as my salary at the time was $650.00 and Nancy did not need to work outside of the home.It is hard to believe that it has been forty years.
2 comments:
The 3 things I remember most about this trip:
1. the glass bottom boat ride - that was really cool!
2. The girls in their pretty dresses. I think this was at Busch Gardens, and at the time I wanted to grow up to be one of them.
3. Watching the sea gulls on the beach somewhere. I think maybe the Keys?
And of course swimming in a pool every chance we could get and Sherri runing from the waves. NOt sure I really remember that one or have just heard the story all my life.
Anyway it was a great trip and I think my memory is not too bad for a 5 year old.
Your memory is excelent for a five year old.[at the time] I could be a little fuzzy in my memory [after forty years] but I believe the sea gulls were on a picnic stop between St Petersburg and the Circus Hall of Fame.It seems to me we picniced on a beach right off of this causeway. You Sherri and I were actually feeding the gulls bread and they would swoop in to eat. To me this was one of the many highlights of the trip. In 1998 Mom and I drove this causeway and I am reasonably sure we saw about were we had parked.
Post a Comment