
NUMBER #33 IS CLASSICAL BOOK TWO!!!!
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
My friend Kathryn suggested this book and it was a great read.
Kathryn, it was not too racy but surprisingly at page 301,and 302 I got the idea to use Gen. 4-7 as the text for a sermon. For whatever reason I did not expect this kind of theology from John Steinbeck.
"Thou Mayest"' is a very important concept and like Lee from the novel it changed my thinking.Yesterday I had an opportunity to speak at the Dunn Rd. Church of Christ and my topic was "Thou Mayest"
I am looking for suggestion for my third classical read.



2 comments:
Congratulations! John Steinbeck said East of Eden was his favorite book. Interesting `retelling' of sorts of the Genesis story of two brothers, and the fight against evil (ie. Cathy), wasn't it?
"I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one. . . . Humans are caught—in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too—in a net of good and evil. . . . There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well—or ill?"
If you've never read To Kill a Mockingbird, you might want to read it. It is a quicker, easier read but very, very moving.
Post a Comment