Sunday, May 25, 2008




THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!


To all of our veterans and those in active military service I simply say thank you for the sacrifices you made and continue to make to keep our country free.


I was motivated by my friend Kathryn's recent wonderful tribute to her father on her blog. Then today at church her husband John talks about his father as a marine {bringing the whole church to tears] that I had to honor my dad with this blog


I was only four when my dad was drafted into the U.S.Army and sent to the south pacific.[no I do not remember his leaving} However I do remember one phone call from the Philippines because the Red Cross called about a week before and said he might be able to call the next Sunday and he did. His official discharge was Jan. 31,1946 but I vividly remember New Years eve of 1945. I was at my grandmother Tritschler's house and about 9:00 PM he arrived from Jefferson Barracks.{reasonably certain the family knew he was coming home that night} My dad served in the Philippines and in Luzon. My mother always told the story that he arrived on Iwo Jima with General MacArthur {day after the surrender}as he was one of many assigned to protect the general.{not sure if that is a true story}


In the first photo my dad is on the left and his brother Wilbur is on the right. Somehow they were both in the Philippine's and somewhere they got together.


Second photo my dad has the x.




My dad




Ernie Pyle was a famous journalist that was killed in action Mar. 1945 in the Philippines.

Below I assume is a piece of WW11 trivia.










Military currency for the Japan area.


I was never privileged to serve our country due to poor vision in the left eye.{ until 1981 I could hardly see the big E} in my left eye.

On this special holiday I again say


"THANK YOU"




4 comments:

c.w. goad said...

Thanks for sharing. Be blessed this memorial day. My dad was a former Marine and he died on Memorial Day.

www.ferventservant.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Here's a site that might help you with your list.

http://www.stlmag.com/media/St-Louis-Magazine/May-2008/101-Things-Every-St-Louisan-Must-Do/

I'm enjoying following you through your list.

T

Anonymous said...

http://www.stlmag.com/media/
St-Louis-Magazine/May-2008/
101-Things-Every-St-Louisan-Must-Do/

Henley Family said...

Ed - What a beautiful post and a powerful reminder of those who have served and sacrificed for the freedoms we have! Nancy