Friday, September 15, 2006


PRESIDENT ULYSSES S. GRANT St Louis Home
"WHITEHAVEN"

Recently Nancy and I visited the home of president Grant located about five minutes from our house. For some reason this is our first visit to this national historic home.
The first photo is of Nancy in front of the home called Whitehaven even thought it is painted green then and now.
The home is situated on a beautiful piece of ground that was part of the acreage that Grant and his wife Julia once owned.
In the second photo I am seated at the original desk that President Grant sat and paid his bills.
In the third photo Nancy is in front of the fireplace that is located in the living room of the home. I have no idea why it has taken us so long to visit this home but we do plan to return again in the near future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reason you haven't visited it before is because it wasn't open to the public. When Jenny or Becky was a Brownie (long time ago) our Brownie troop vanagled a private tour with the private owner who was selling it to the park people and the closing date was within the next few weeks - and then it's been closed to be 'restored' during all this time.
It's a neat little slice of history right in our backyard and I'm glad they are giving tours finally.