Friday, August 11, 2006


ST LOUIS PAST Part Ten

Do you remember McDonald's on the river front? Do you remember the flood of 1993? Do you remember when 2nd street was next to the levee and now it is named Lenore K. Sullivan Drive?
Look at the first photo and notice that the street lights are where the street is located. Notice the trees that run up the hill toward the arch and they are under a lot of river water.
My memory says I was standing two or three steps up from the last landing on the arch stairway going up from the river when taking the photos.
Again,I am going by memory but I believe photo two is the Robert E. Lee restaurant that is now closed but located in Kimmswick MO.

I am reasonably sure the last photo was McDonald's on the river and it has been shuttered maybe since the flood of 1993.

The flood water was effecting the entire area as River Des Peres was over its bank, Missouri river destroyed entire towns,and the Meramac river was overflowing.
We could use a little of the 93 water in 06 as my grass has burned up in the drought of 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember eating on that McDonalds one day when my nephew and I bicycled from south St Louis to downtown and after eating tp Forest Park. It was a fun eating place. Also, enjoyed many meals at Tony's(?) restaurant at 2nd and Biddle. The food there was excellent. Enjoyed your horse photos. Bill