THREE GENERATIONSPLAYING CATCH
Pictured here is my five year old grandson Paul Stone, his dad Shawn and the grandpa. Yes believe it or not I have my own glove and surprisingly I can still throw and catch.
I now have played real catch with all of my grandchildren except for three year old James. I believe there is some sort of a bonding power in the game of playing catch.
When I look back I see clearly about sixty two years ago when my dad and I started playing catch. [my dad died when I was ten so those moments are few but special] My son and I started playing catch about thirty years ago and we wore many bare spots into our grass. Next it was Todd being introduced to the game of catch about thirteen years ago.[seems like only yesterday] Last summer I had the opportunity to begin playing catch with Donovan and now Paul joins the list.
What other activity can a father and son be involved in that gives them time together, exercise, conversation,imagination, and special memories all wrapped up in one activity. It truly is an activity that bridges generations.
5 comments:
That's neat that you've made a point to play catch with all the guys and I'm sure it's a great bonding thing- but I have to ask - why not the girls - what about Terri, Sherri, Kelsey, & Kayleigh?
-annie
Easy to answer. They all had the same oportunity BUT they all said NO!!!!!
I believe they were influenced by their grandma and their Aunt Annie
I don't remember playing catch with Dad, but I loved our campouts growing up. I will be using your slogan for Benny and our future kiddos... a family that camps together-stays together.
I was wondering the same thing! I know KK plays ball at home, loves to hit it off the tee and when it's thrown to her, maybe you need to ask again!
Ed- I enjoy reading your blog. You are a great grandpa...seeing your pictures and how active you are with your grandkids makes me miss my grandpa so much, but reminds me of all of the wonderful sacrifices he made me for me and the other kids. Thanks for making me smile!
Post a Comment