
On the left is our oldest granddaughter Kelsey Taylor on the night she graduated from Wolfbranch elementary school in Fairview Heights Il.
The second photo is Kelsey with her proud grandparents who graduated back when there were only black and white photos.
The third photo is her parents who graduated when there were color photos but no home computers.
The fourth photo is an impromptu photo of Kelsey enjoying her evening of achievement.
I believe there are a few differences in 8th grade graduation between 1952 and 2006.1-In 1952 we did not wear gowns.[I guess because of cost] Boys were instructed to wear nice shirt and pants.
2-In 52 the program was during normal school hours. [I guess for the convience of teachers] In 06 it was a formal evening program.
3-In 52 the student speeches were directed at our parents to show off our supposed knowledge.One of our speeches was titled"The benefits of Radio Free Europe" [ you can fill in the blank on who delivered that one]
In 06 the speeches by students seemed to be directed to the graduates to challenge and motivate to dream big dreams and achieve your goals.
4- Maybe this is the biggest difference. In 1952 on the night of graduation four or five of us
boys rode a streetcar from South
City to the Fox theatre on North
Grand to see a movie, go bowlingafterwards, and return home after midnight.[no idea why I our parents let us]
Kelsey,Grandpa is proud of you and my prayer is you will set high goals and achieve more than grandpa ever thought of.
I would urge you to share with the cyber world memories of your 8th grade graduation.
4 comments:
Your right, I definitely didn't go riding in a streetcar after graduation. I just wanted to say thanks for everything you've done for me, and by the way, I DID play catch with you when i was little!
You are so RIGHT I do remember our playing catch. Sorry I left you out.
Grandpa
what happened to your pictures? They look stretched....
I will say it again... you are a great grandpa, and they are lucky to have you!
Actual photos are pretty good but something happen in the transfer from My Pictures to blogspot.I guess I am a member of Brad's club in that I do not have cyber space all figured out yet.
Post a Comment