I AM ON MY WAY TO MY THIRD ALL STAR GAME!!!!! 1957, 1966,and now 2009!!
Once again my baseball good fortune has come my way as I was able to get a ticket for tonight's game.
In 1966 I was 28 as I suffered through the HEAT of our brand new stadium as the National league won 2-1. It was HOT!!!! but again I was fortunate as shade came over our seats in the third inning and the temperature felt ten degrees cooler. My guest for the game was my father in law Jim McCoy. Nancy and I had two little girls, lived in a nice brick Shrewsbury house and I was a rising young executive on the way up. {two years later my mentor had a fatal heart attack}
This picture is not from the 1957 all star game but shows the bleachers in old Sportsman park where my Uncle Bob and I sat for the 57 all star game. Unfortunately the National league lost 6-5 as both teams scored three runs in the ninth inning.

The picture however is from 1957 and was the first year center fielder Curt Flood played for the Cardinals.
I was nineteen, a college student, a part time camera salesman for Sears in the brand NEW Crestwood shopping mall.dating Nancy McCoy but neither of us knew we would spend the rest of our life together. We did not get engaged until the summer of 1958.
Enough about the past as I head downtown to enjoy the 2009 all star game!!!!!
If you are interested tune in tomorrow at 1:25 PM as I will be interviewed by Trish on 550 KTRS on the AM dial about my views of seeing all three games at three different stadiums.

2 comments:
Lucky you!! I will be watching for you in the stands!
Lucky you! Looking forward to your next blog! Nancy
Post a Comment