Saturday, October 11, 2008



#56 WOW! I AM AT 80% of THE GOAL

GREER SPRINGS

A journey of 46 years and two months.

In August of 1962 a five month pregnant Nancy, a sixteen month old Terri, and a young father/husband started a one mile hike down to Greer Springs. This was before the US Park Service owned the land and before there was a trail.

Nancy made it about 1/4 mile down when she realized going down was easier than going up for the return trip. Terri and I continued till we could see the water but still a long way from the spring. At that point I was carrying Terri plus a camera and was about to be out of sight of Nancy when it dawned on me the further down I go the harder climb back to the parking lot. Oh did I tell you there was NO trail and the temperature was at least 97.

Thursday Nancy and I parked in the same parking lot and began a one mile hike down a trail to Greer Springs.The US park service has owned Greer since 1970.

We made it in about 45 minutes down and about one hour for the return upward climb.

I do not have the words to describe the personal satisfaction of seeing Greer at the source. It was beautiful, serene, peaceful, quiet, yet there was a roar from the water flowing from its source. You see the mighty force of Greer Springs flowing out from underneath the caverns
.








A park service employee took our picture with the spring behind us.
{He was there picking up trash along the trail} The only person we saw in over three hours on the trail and at the springs.








Greer Springs from the source




Looking down stream
























STAIRS!!! Do I complete any events without stairs!!!


This is only one of many examples were the trail had switchbacks

For the remainder of my memories I will always remember the plus forty six year quest to see the source of Greer Springs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Nancy

Anonymous said...

Where is Greers Springs? I don't think i've ever heard of it.

Ed. Tritschler said...

Greer Springs is located about 20 miles south of Eminence, or 15 miles north of Thayer Mo on Highway 19.You might say it is a suburd of Alton Mo.

Ed. Tritschler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

We use to go camping in Eminence on the jacks fork river when i was a kid. Now that I think about it, so did Brad Stevens and his Family. We stayed at a camp ground called circle B. Great times!! The water was freezing!! Wonder if it came out of Greer Springs? Thanks for bring back those memories!!

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me (Denise)!

Ed. Tritschler said...

Denise
You are right on both accounts. Circle B I am pretty sure is still in business today. It really blew me away but Brad has spent time in the Eminence area.My mother was born in Eminence and her first name was Shannon. Eminence happens to be in Shannon County.