Friday, October 17, 2008




A DAY AT THE RACE TRACK and DRIVING TOO BECOMES #61 AN AWESOME TIME!!!

Wow I am now in single digit numbers as I have only nine to go. I am not sure when I started that I would actually get to this point.



The group left to right

Standing, Susan, Doug, Jan,and Nancy

Kneeling,Joe, Emily,and the driver!!!






My first reaction was one of amazement at how big financially and number of participants it takes to be a driver in this sport.Later in the day after watching several races I became impressed with the skill, tenacity,and ability of the drivers.My guess is the age level of the drivers was between ages ten and sixteen. Joe is twelve but he is one of the leading drivers for the 2008 racing seasons.


Joe with his car #4



















Joe driving the back straight a way getting ready for the next curve and he was running in third place at this time.

















Doug with Emily who is a rookie driver as this is her first year.





















Emily going into the back stretch curve.




















I am receiving my final instructions from Emily.





















Guess who?????
























Doug escorting the moving car [is he expecting the driver to kill the engine]




















Driver coming down the back stretch as he gets ready to negotiate another curve.














On the straight away but you are always getting ready for the always coming up curves.





Tim a trust worthy man with his rookie driver and his car.









Thoughts from a new driver [never,ever driven on a racing oval] of three laps.




Stressful as the sensitivity between the speed of the engine and negotiating the curving oval leaves no room for error.




Thrilling as you drive the two straight aways with the engine running wide open.




Mind blogging as there is NO play in the steering wheel as it takes strength to move the wheel slightly.




Respect for the young drivers that negotiated the track at a much greater speed than I.




Bewilderment as I tried driving with skill but my mind kept reminding me there were NO other racers on the track.I did not have to worry about other racers trying to pass me or getting to close to my car.




A real sense of accomplishment that I had accomplished a life long ambition. I am sure that Jan. and Doug did not know that when i was Joe and Emily's age I was a spectator at many midget and stock car races at old Walsh stadium,and Lake Hill speed way.




Thank you Jan. and Doug for a thrilling and fun filled #61.

1 comment:

Kathryn & John said...

I would love to have been there. Looks like you had a great time.