Saturday found Nancy and I headed to Sikeston MO to attend a mini family reunion on the McCoy side of her family.After a pot luck dinner and family fellowship we headed for Reelfoot Lake TN for reasons that you will understand as this blog develops. Bill is Nancy's cousin on her mothers side of the family and has encouraged me for three years to visit Reelfoot in the winter time. Bill you were so right it was unusual,different and above all more beautiful than visiting in the summer time. In the first photo Nancy is holding two replicas of Flat Stanly.If you are readers of children's books you will know the story behind Flat Stanly.Nancy tutors reading in our local school and her two girl students have made their very own dolls like Flat Stanly and Nancy wanted them to visit Reelfoot Lake.
 |
| In the first two photos hopefully you can tell the lake is frozen. I really thought the ice was thick enough for me to walk on but Nancy would not let me. |
 |
| Sunset Saturday night at a frozen Reelfoot Lake. It simply was surreal. |
 |
| The sun setting behind the great Cypress trees of Reelfoot Lake. |
 |
| I am standing on a deck on the spillway side of the lake.looking at what was a beach in June of 1962. Our daughter Terri was fifteen months old and went swimming with her dad for the first time.There is also a family legend that developed about Grandma McCoy,Terri and I and a slide that went into the water.The houses in the background were not there in 1962. |
 |
| Sunday morning found Nancy and I on an eagle watching tour. I was fortunate to capture this photo by positioning my camera into the eye piece of a scope. |
 |
| This is the water that cousin Bill taught me how to water ski in the summer of 1959.I have been known to say 'that the thrill of coming up and on top of the water is my second greatest thrill in life." |
Reelfoot lake is known for its wild duck population. |
2 comments:
Glad you enjoyed it. I'm going to send you a short clip of the beach in its prime. Bill
The photos are great - there is nothing more majestic than the American Eagle. Carol
Post a Comment