Saturday, November 01, 2008





90% of the way to SEVENTY!!!



#63 AMISH COUNTRY,ARCOLA II.

Even though Arcola is less than three hours from St.Louis, Nancy and I have never visited Amish country. Friends of over forty years Jan and Barbara traveled with us. Jan lived in this area first few years of her marriage and was our tour guide.

We first toured the Amish Interpretative Center. They showed an outstanding seventeen minute film on the Amish people and culture.In addition they had many exhibits of Amish life in Illinois.

The creator of Raggedy Ann and Andy Johnny Gruelle was born in 1880 in Arcola Il.



Amish quilts with Barbara,Nancy, and Jan









Famous Amish Shoo -fly pie from Dutch Kitchen, Arcola. The pie has sorgum molasses as the main ingedident and actually tastes pretty good. I would try again.


{picture in honor of Terri and Kelsey}




A replica of a phone booth found outside some of their homes.Their culture does not allow phones on the inside of their homes.






Hippie Memorial,Arcola Il.









Old wall phone inside Dutch Kitchen Arcola Il.

















A huge cross near I-70 close to Effingham Il.

















Beautiful plaques with scriptures circle the Cross grounds.










Barbara,Jan,and Nancy






























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that area. We visited it several times while living in Illinois. It just takes you back to a much simpler time. I enjoyed your trip via the blog.

Kathryn & John said...

Ed and three ladies...sounds like you were in good company!