Sunday, August 03, 2008

#46 Is completing reading classic book #3
"TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD" by Harper Lee
I will share a few random thoughts that I found interesting.
*** This is the only novel written by Harper Lee
***The title is found buried in the book on page 98 as the father Atticus gives advice to his children Scout and Jem. "Remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up peoples gardens,don't nest in corn cribs. they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us to enjoy.
*** Story is set in an era close to my birth.
***For me the story has many dichotomies
Small town life is similar to neighborhoods of the big city.
The everyday living of children and adults.
Kindness and cruelty of people.
Love and hatred by the society we live in.
The classes of society in rural America
How close the movie is to the book.
It was an interesting read and I am glad I chose it for one of my four classic books to read in 2008.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Excited to learn that you decided to read To Kill a Mockingbird. It is one of my all time favorites.